We're Customs Brokers . You've probably never heard of what we do. No, we don't carry guns and have cool TV shows like " Border Security "- that's the Canada Border Services Agency. In a nutshell, our job is to assist importers bring goods into Canada in the most legally-compliant and efficient way. And we've done it all: from Italian suits, to hydro-electric dam components, and even to those little paper umbrellas in your tropical drink. Yes, we're at the nexus of Canada and the global marketplace and we love it!
Pacific Customs Brokers is now searching for a full-time Office Administrative Support Team member with an interest in international trade. Your duties -and there are lots- will include: answering phones, filing, scanning, and general clerical work. That's what you'll do for the first 8-12 months, anyway. When you've learnt enough about our business and our culture, we'll start you off on your path to becoming a fully-licensed Customs Broker (often known as a Customs Lawyer in some countries). After all, why settle for just a job ? Be ready for some seriousongoing learning, though.
Mmm... you think. This job ad looks a little familiar. I think I've seen it before. Can't they keep their staff?
Actually, that's because yet another one of our admin team members is moving on to a new role within the company soon (have fun, Nina!) and I need to backfill well in advance because the training is 4 weeks long. Our goal is to have you master the admin role and get to know our brokerage team, and then move you on to other parts of the company within 8-12 months. Then, I'll post this ad again to backfill for you.
We have a team of nine Administrative Assistants. About the phones: there is no voice mail, and no "press 1 for English, press 2 for French, press 3 for Leave a Message We'll Never Respond To". No, we answer every single one of the 350,000+ calls we get every year. We believe that when someone calls, it's because they want to talk to us and not to our machine (funny how that is). There are no time zones in international trade either, so we're here every single hour of every day of every year.
Never shutting off the lights and always having the "We're Here to Help!" sign up means that you will be on a shift-based schedule, with time assignments which will vary over the year and will include overnights, afternoons, and days. This is not a Monday to Friday daytime job. It isn't just evenings and nights either. The shift will also usually include a Saturday and/or Sunday. That said, you don't get a mish-mash of random shifts that disappear as the week goes on like you get in retail or hospitality. You'll know your shifts at least a month in advance and you'll always be full-time.
Hate to harp on this but if you do not have 24/7 availability, please do not apply. We truly are 24/7/365. We live and breathe international trade.
What you need to have:
- MS Office experience
- Experience with multi-line switchboard is a definite asset
- Ability to complete physical tasks such as sitting, bending, crouching, and be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Strong business math and world geography skills. It's international trade, after all!
- Must be able to speak, read, and write English at a professional level
- Must be in Canada and have the right to work at the time of application . Applications from outside Canada will not be considered
- Starting wage of $14.00 - 16.50 /hr depending on work hours
- Full-time employment (37.5 hours/week)
- Fully paid (yes, you read that right- fully paid!) MSP, Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits for you and your family after three months
- Bonus plan
- A Pension Plan
- Education Support; we love school!
- Free Fitness Centre and instructor; be ready for ski season! or shovelling your driveway :(
- Growth and Development Opportunities
- and more!
We're located at the US/Canada border crossing (176th Street and 1st Avenue) in South Surrey/White Rock. There's no public transportation to our office so you must have a vehicle to get here. Those without reliable transportation will not be considered for interview.
We look forward to hearing from you